Do you think the UK has a lot of rain?
Why is it so rainy?
- The UK has 189 days of rain a year.
- All our rain comes from the Atlantic Ocean
- Much of our rain starts 4000 miles away in the Atlantic
- Every drop of our fresh water comes from the oceans
- It's a never ending cycle
- Swansea is the wettest city in the UK
- The Lake District gets 69 inches of rain a year
- It rains on average 111 days a year there
- Rainguage Cottage is probably the wettest cottage in England
- Emily Pratt feels proud of living in the wettest place
- The floods of 2009 happened after 5 days of heavy rain
- It was described as a once in a thousand year weather event
- The power of the great British weather should never be under-estimated.
|The Lake District in the UK|
Now do the true or false exercise
1. The UK has 199 days of rain a year.
7. The Lake District gets 79 inches of rain a year
8. It rains on average 211 days a year there
11.The floods of 2009 happened after 3 days of heavy rain
Watch againFill in the gaps in the text. Watch the clip (0:39 - 1:18) and listen again to check.
Printable worksheet here
Find out moreabout UK weather here http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/
Is it raining in the UK today? Look here http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_weather.html
More weather practicehere http://efllecturer.blogspot.com/2011/09/bbc-weather-forecast.html
Writing for academic IELTS task 1
IELTS Task 1 practice - Describe the picture in 150 words
Try this question from ielts-simon.com
IELTS Writing Task 1: "Water Cycle" essay
The diagram below shows the water cycle, which is the continuous movement of water on, above and below the surface of the Earth.