- How do they make potato chips / crisps?
- You are going to watch a video which shows the process
- You are going to write a description of the process using the passive and some sequencing words
A) Look at these verbs. Check you know the meanings
B) Do you know the participles?Highlight below for the answers
manufactured / dropped / moved / taken / washed / rinsed / sorted / peeled / sliced / fried / salted / shaken / dried / cooled / packed / sealed / transported
C) Check you know these words
D) Using the present simple passive
- The passive is associated with an impersonal formal style. It is often used in notices, announcements and describing processes
- Check you know how to make the present simple pasive here
E) You can use these words to describe the sequence of events
- To begin with
- First of all
- Secondly, thirdly, etc
- After that
F) Watch the clip / Writing
- Describe the process using the vocabulary given above. Try and use as many passives as you can.
- Don't forget to say what the process is in the introduction. The video shows ...
- Write a final sentence which concludes the process. The crisps are now ready to be delivered to the shops.
G) Read about the manufacture of potato crisps herehttp://www.hyfoma.com/en/content/food-branches-processing-manufacturing/fruit-vegetable-potato/potato/crisps/
- Natural Disasters - BBC animated guides http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7533964.stm
- Descring a process http://www.ielts-exam.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=213&Itemid=44