You are going to
- discuss fame and celebrity
- listen to a radio interview and do a gap-fill
News 11th February 2012
American singer and actress Whitney Houston has died in Los Angeles at the age of 48.
The mother of one died in her room at the Beverly Hilton Hotel, where she had been staying as a guest.
The singer had battled substance abuse in recent years.
They have talent, money, looks, fame... everything.
- Why do some stars lose it all?
- Can you think of any other stars who have come to a tragic end?
- What goes wrong?
Listen to this interview with music journalist and presenter Paul Gambaccini on the Stephen Nolan Show
- What does Paul think was special about Whitney Houston?
- What does he think went wrong in Whitney's life?
Listen and find out
listen to ‘Music journalist Paul Gambaccini looks back on the life and career of Whitney Houston, who died at the weekend aged 48’ on Audioboo
Listen again and read the summary of the interview below.
Fill in the gaps with words from the list.
- Feet on the ground = a realistic understanding of your own ideas, actions, and decisions
- Going south = failing
What do you think?
- Are some stars so powerful that no one ever says no to them?
- Would it be better if celebrities kept their problems private?
- Should the media be more responsible when it reports on celebrities?
- Why are we so interested in celebrities' private lives?