You are going to
- Discuss fashion
- Look at some slang expressions
- Look at some phrasal verbs and do a matching exercise
- Watch a short video clip about a rock music fan and do a true / false comprehension activity
- Write about fashion
- Do you like listening to music?
- Where do you listen to music?
- Do you have any musical idols?
- Where do you find out about them?
- Do you like or copy the clothes they wear?
- Do you you like to be fashionable?
- Why do people follow fashion?
- Could you stop listening to music or using the internet for a week? How would you feel?
2) Before you watch - Vocabulary.
2a) Vocabulary 1 - Slang
What is slang?
Do you use slang expressions?
Do you know these slang words?
- metalhead = A metalhead is a fan of metal music
- cool = good
- mate = friend
- goth = fan of Goth music and fashion
- chav = young person usually wearing tracksuits and baseball caps
- townie = someone who lives in a town
- nerd = someone who is good at technical things but may not have many friends
Highlight next to the word for the answers
2b) Vocabulary 2 - Phrasal Verbs
What is a phrasal verb?
Click here to find out http://www.englishpage.com/prepositions/phrasaldictionary.html
Answer - highlight here = A phrasal verb is a verb plus a preposition or adverb which creates a meaning different from the original verb.
Look at the list of expressions in the column on the left below.
1) Match the expressions with the correct definition. One is done for you. You can drag and drop the phrases on the right
2) Write some sentences using the phrasal verbs. eg I'm looking forward to my holidays.
You can find more phrasal verb definitions here
- What will his friends and family think?
- How will he feel?
- Will he complete the week or give up after a few days and go back to being a Goth?
Watch and find out.
Do the True / False exercise
Answer - highlight here = "You shall make no graven images" is a reference to false gods
Fashion trends are difficult to follow these days and it’s widely believed that they primarily exist just to sell clothes. Some people believe that we shouldn’t follow them and that we should dress in what we like and feel comfortable in.
To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion?.