You are going to
- discuss willpower
- listen to a radio programme about willpower and do a gap-fill exercise.
- do a quiz to find out how much willpower you have
- Do you have willpower?
- What is willpower?
- When do you need it?
- When you decide to do something do you always finish it?
- Oscar Wilde said "I can resist everything but temptation". Can you resist everything?
- How can you improve your willpower?
- Read the summary below of the BBC Radio 4 interview with Roy Baumeister about willpower. Can you guess any of the words which go in the gaps?
- Listen to the recording below and fill in the gaps with the word you hear.
According to a new book, the most important thing to make a person successful is willpower and not self-esteem as is sometimes thought.
Professor Roy Baumeister, author of Willpower: Rediscovering Our Greatest Strength, talks to the Today programme
Click play to listen. Fill in the gaps.
Listen to a debate on this subject BBC's The Forum here http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00mxby8
Printable version here
Find out in this quiz http://www.youthink.com/quiz.cfm?obj_id=80878
Why willpower matters – and how to get it